Skip to main content

Day 259: Morning Prayer


Our little bedroom oratory. Yes, I proudly put terrible quality photos online because
a) I've never claimed to be a photographer and b) the baby is up early from nap.
A few weeks ago, I bought Christian Prayer from my (formerly) local Catholic bookstore. With texted advice from friends, the iBreviary app, and some random blog posts, I jumped into it. My husband and I had been throwing around the idea of doing the church's morning prayer together before he leaves for work. Which is usually while I'm still sleeping. I know, bold.

I thought it would be good for me to "learn" it before we started praying it together, because it involves flipping to different parts of the book, and learning a format that is unfamiliar to both of us. I've been trying to do it during weekdays the last couple of weeks and we just started trying it together.

The one reflection I can share on it so far is that it has been an exercise in unconditional love. Or at least in understanding that I am unconditionally loved by the Father.

I sometimes imagine Him watching me with my lap full of resources, double checking the app on my phone to make sure I used the right antiphon or switched to the correct day. It reminded me of the way I laugh when my preschooler mixes up similar words, or when my toddler tries to make his body move in a way I take for granted. We chuckle a little and think, "Oh, how cute!" On a good day, I appreciate the efforts the kids are making and recognize how much they are learning.

On days when I muddle through the page flipping, or switch the invitiatory and the canticle, I just picture God looking down on me and appreciating my efforts, appreciating the time I'm giving to him, no matter how little and awkward it might be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! Remember me?

Hey! I'm still here! I haven't given up on ye olde blog just yet, but I haven't had much to write about. I've been spending most of my time reading, mothering, household-running, reading, watching Instagram stories, and house hunting. Whew. Summer is flying by at breakneck speeds and I can barely keep up. I've read more books already than I did last year, which I think is saying a lot because I read more books last year than any year since I became a mother. I didn't set a number goal, but I did list out 10 or 15 that I wanted to get to. I've finished most, including the Harry Potters, but not all. It's a good reading year! Right now I'm reading one by a woman who gave up the Internet for a year. Insert scared emoji face. House hunting will likely be a whole separate post...someday. I have a few other posts in the rusty old brain, so we'll see if they come to fruition. I just didn't want you to forget about me!

Seven Random Things I Like

It's been a while, so I'm going to link up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum  for 7 Quick Takes today! I present to you seven random things I like, and for which I am grateful today. 1. Lent! Time to repent! I do like Lent, and with a weird rib-area cartilage injury and a bad cold to set the pace, it's shaping up to be a really Lenty Lent. I'm using the Blessed is She Lenten journal for my daily prayer time and am trying...t r y i n g this 5-Minute sacrifice. I did fairly well at it Wednesday, and pretty crappy Thursday. So there you go. Onward and upward. I will embarrassingly admit that it took me until my 35th year to realize that I don't have to read all the things on the interwebs, even if they are about a topic of interest to me. The webs are awash with posts about how to Lent, and but thank goodness I resisted the urge to click on all of them and just licked on this one  by Jenny at Mama Needs Coffee. Of course you know I want to share everyth...

Take Note!

I know a fair amount about myself, about my tendencies and my personality. I can't be the only one who likes finding out more about myself in this regard, as there are tons of profiles and quizzes and articles discussing these topics. I've known some things for a long while: I'm a reader.  I like things done correctly versus quickly. I'm an introvert.  I'm a picky eater, and I like mostly bland food.  I'm better at editing than writing.  I love organizing.  I dislike conflict. I'm a list-maker.  And in the last few years, I've learned that: My primary temperament is melancholic . My secondary temperament is choleric (so there's a teeny bit of extrovert in there). In Myers-Briggs, I'm an ISTJ . One of my gifts is administration, which is why I like paperwork, and love spreadsheets. I am loyal, in relationships but also in seemingly irrelevant things like making sure to read every post by my favorite bloggers even if the top...