Skip to main content

Day 268: Pumpkin Patch!

They're in there somewhere. 
Yesterday we loaded up ye olde minivan and headed west to Bismarck, where we realized our kids had never been. We visited Papa's Pumpkin Patch and the Dakota Zoo, and we give both a resounding thumb's up. Turns out we all love Bismarck! 

Typically outings like this involve tons of fighting and whining and crying and general misery, but yesterday went 10 time better than I expected. We managed on very short naps, PB&Js, and favorable weather. 

In almost 6 years of parenting, we've managed to successfully dodge all pumpkin patches. We are an introvert family, after all. This one was great and the kids didn't want to leave...except we also wanted to go to the zoo which was closing early. 

The zoo had different animals than we're used to, and our Red River Zoo pass allowed us free admission, so wins all around. We all enjoyed the primates most. They had several different species. I can't find our favorite on their website, but there were two adult and one baby monkey that were swinging around and being generally hilarious. The baby was pestering the one we assumed was the mom and she was swatting and playfully kicking him and we laughed pretty hard. Our newly minted two-year-old through a pretty major s***fit when we had to say goodbye to the monkeys. 

I ran into a friend I hadn't seen since college at the pumpkin patch, which was unexpected and fun. The high point for me was probably when we crashed my friend's 3-year-old's birthday party at their house north of town. They live in a great little development with huge lots and they had a ton of neighborhood and friends' kids running around in their shop. Seeing Tanner is always a pleasure, as he's a dear friend, and it was fun to see and meet a few other people there, too. 

Driving home, we were all exhausted but so happy to have spent a day actually having fun together. I felt little to no gratitude for how the subsequent night went, but the fact that we actually had a great day made it worth the trouble!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey! Remember me?

Hey! I'm still here! I haven't given up on ye olde blog just yet, but I haven't had much to write about. I've been spending most of my time reading, mothering, household-running, reading, watching Instagram stories, and house hunting. Whew. Summer is flying by at breakneck speeds and I can barely keep up. I've read more books already than I did last year, which I think is saying a lot because I read more books last year than any year since I became a mother. I didn't set a number goal, but I did list out 10 or 15 that I wanted to get to. I've finished most, including the Harry Potters, but not all. It's a good reading year! Right now I'm reading one by a woman who gave up the Internet for a year. Insert scared emoji face. House hunting will likely be a whole separate post...someday. I have a few other posts in the rusty old brain, so we'll see if they come to fruition. I just didn't want you to forget about me!

Take Note!

I know a fair amount about myself, about my tendencies and my personality. I can't be the only one who likes finding out more about myself in this regard, as there are tons of profiles and quizzes and articles discussing these topics. I've known some things for a long while: I'm a reader.  I like things done correctly versus quickly. I'm an introvert.  I'm a picky eater, and I like mostly bland food.  I'm better at editing than writing.  I love organizing.  I dislike conflict. I'm a list-maker.  And in the last few years, I've learned that: My primary temperament is melancholic . My secondary temperament is choleric (so there's a teeny bit of extrovert in there). In Myers-Briggs, I'm an ISTJ . One of my gifts is administration, which is why I like paperwork, and love spreadsheets. I am loyal, in relationships but also in seemingly irrelevant things like making sure to read every post by my favorite bloggers even if the top...

Seven Random Things I Like

It's been a while, so I'm going to link up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum  for 7 Quick Takes today! I present to you seven random things I like, and for which I am grateful today. 1. Lent! Time to repent! I do like Lent, and with a weird rib-area cartilage injury and a bad cold to set the pace, it's shaping up to be a really Lenty Lent. I'm using the Blessed is She Lenten journal for my daily prayer time and am trying...t r y i n g this 5-Minute sacrifice. I did fairly well at it Wednesday, and pretty crappy Thursday. So there you go. Onward and upward. I will embarrassingly admit that it took me until my 35th year to realize that I don't have to read all the things on the interwebs, even if they are about a topic of interest to me. The webs are awash with posts about how to Lent, and but thank goodness I resisted the urge to click on all of them and just licked on this one  by Jenny at Mama Needs Coffee. Of course you know I want to share everyth...