Skip to main content

Day 66: Spirit Animal!

Oh, hey! What a great day!

I'm still coming down from my fangirl high so I won't write anything profound or life changing. Sorry! 


I started listening to the Catholic Stuff You Should Know podcast a couple of years ago. I know I've shared about it here before; it's a fabulous podcast by some great young priests in Denver. Their banter is hilarious, and they are smart, interesting, and striving for for holiness. The episodes are entertaining and insightful and I look forward to a new one every Thursday. 

Last fall I declared Father Nathan Goebel my spirit animal. Urbandictionary.com defines spirit animal as "a representation of you or what you want to be." I texted Monica (above right) and made some jokes about writing him a letter. She talked me into it, since he said in one of the podcasts that he really appreciates snail mail. 

The only appropriate card I had was an old Christmas card with a weird dog dressed in reindeer horns that said "Ain't I a joy to the world." But he's weird, too, so I went with it. I sent it off, and sure enough, I got a sweet shout out in a January episode of the podcast. All the heart emojis! 

In an interesting act of the Holy Spirit, Monica mentioned my shout out at our women's group, because our friend Missy also listens to the podcast. She also happens to work at the NDSU Newman Center, where Father Nathan served as a FOCUS missionary a few years back. The Newman center invited him back as part of a speaker series and Missy told us about it. If she hadn't worked there, I wouldn't have known he was coming and I never would have met him! Oh, the horror! 

Missy (above left), Monica and I met at the Newman tonight for his talk, and I stepped outside my comfort zone and introduced myself afterwards. We had a great little chat and if the poor college students wouldn't have been standing around waiting to meet him, I'd likely have asked him to go have a beer. I feel like we could be real life friends! Only in my dreams, I guess, but at least I got a new Facebook profile picture. And we had a great time!  

If you are interested, one of my favorite episodes is Pilgrimage to Beauty, a live Theology in Tap event, and it can be found here: http://catholicstuffpodcast.com/?p=677 My other favorite episodes are probably Father Nathan and Father John's conversion/vocation stories. I can find them for you if you are interested! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Blogger: CWBN 2017 Recap

The last weekend in March I had the great pleasure of attending a real life blogging conference! Like a real blogger! Cathedral of St. Paul Jacqui ,  Anna  and  Susanna  hosted the Catholic Women's Blogging Network Twin Cities get together at a stunning Summit Avenue mansion in St. Paul. Thirty-some wonderful Catholic women from the Twin Cities, the Midwest, and even Maryland joined up to talk blogging and really just to support each other and build each other up. My friend Monica encouraged me to go, and I signed up on a bit of a whim, figuring that if I paid for registration I'd be more inclined to go. If I didn't have a mutual friend link to one of the organizers, and if a couple of my most favoritest bloggers hadn't been speakers, I'd probably have chickened out.  In response to my evident nerves on the way, my husband wisely mused, "Well, if you're going to walk into a group of people you don't know, this is probably the best group yo

Hey! Remember me?

Hey! I'm still here! I haven't given up on ye olde blog just yet, but I haven't had much to write about. I've been spending most of my time reading, mothering, household-running, reading, watching Instagram stories, and house hunting. Whew. Summer is flying by at breakneck speeds and I can barely keep up. I've read more books already than I did last year, which I think is saying a lot because I read more books last year than any year since I became a mother. I didn't set a number goal, but I did list out 10 or 15 that I wanted to get to. I've finished most, including the Harry Potters, but not all. It's a good reading year! Right now I'm reading one by a woman who gave up the Internet for a year. Insert scared emoji face. House hunting will likely be a whole separate post...someday. I have a few other posts in the rusty old brain, so we'll see if they come to fruition. I just didn't want you to forget about me!

Overwhelmed by Information

We are experiencing crazy nice weather for North Dakota February. Today it was in the 40s so I took the kids out to play. We were out about 75 minutes. It wasn't many minutes into watching them shovel, throw ice chunks, and wander around that I got a little bored. I purposely left my phone upstairs (SO NOBLE, RIGHT?) but I found myself wishing I'd have brought my book. Then it struck me that I have information flowing into my brain almost constantly, and that I actually needed some time to wander around with no phone, no book, no radio, etc. I love reading, so much so that I'll read darn near anything. Kindergarten newsletter? Check. Junk mail? Sure. Random article shared on Facebook that I know will make my blood boil? Probably, if I'm bored enough. If I'm not reading, I'm usually listening. The radio or TV is on in the background, or I automatically throw on a podcast or audiobook if I have any amount of alone time for a walk or a drive. There is informati