Skip to main content

Day 66: Spirit Animal!

Oh, hey! What a great day!

I'm still coming down from my fangirl high so I won't write anything profound or life changing. Sorry! 


I started listening to the Catholic Stuff You Should Know podcast a couple of years ago. I know I've shared about it here before; it's a fabulous podcast by some great young priests in Denver. Their banter is hilarious, and they are smart, interesting, and striving for for holiness. The episodes are entertaining and insightful and I look forward to a new one every Thursday. 

Last fall I declared Father Nathan Goebel my spirit animal. Urbandictionary.com defines spirit animal as "a representation of you or what you want to be." I texted Monica (above right) and made some jokes about writing him a letter. She talked me into it, since he said in one of the podcasts that he really appreciates snail mail. 

The only appropriate card I had was an old Christmas card with a weird dog dressed in reindeer horns that said "Ain't I a joy to the world." But he's weird, too, so I went with it. I sent it off, and sure enough, I got a sweet shout out in a January episode of the podcast. All the heart emojis! 

In an interesting act of the Holy Spirit, Monica mentioned my shout out at our women's group, because our friend Missy also listens to the podcast. She also happens to work at the NDSU Newman Center, where Father Nathan served as a FOCUS missionary a few years back. The Newman center invited him back as part of a speaker series and Missy told us about it. If she hadn't worked there, I wouldn't have known he was coming and I never would have met him! Oh, the horror! 

Missy (above left), Monica and I met at the Newman tonight for his talk, and I stepped outside my comfort zone and introduced myself afterwards. We had a great little chat and if the poor college students wouldn't have been standing around waiting to meet him, I'd likely have asked him to go have a beer. I feel like we could be real life friends! Only in my dreams, I guess, but at least I got a new Facebook profile picture. And we had a great time!  

If you are interested, one of my favorite episodes is Pilgrimage to Beauty, a live Theology in Tap event, and it can be found here: http://catholicstuffpodcast.com/?p=677 My other favorite episodes are probably Father Nathan and Father John's conversion/vocation stories. I can find them for you if you are interested! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 304: You Have Dignity Because You Belong To God

"We let our ability to do things speak to our dignity.... You are not valuable because you do things. You are not valuable because you look good or because you have a charming personality or because you have been successful at work. You have dignity because you belong to God." ~The Reverend Brian Larkin, Homily for 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time, October 23, 2016. 

Listen to the full homily here (choose the one for XXX Sunday in Ordinary Time).

His homily is directly related to a physician-assisted suicide measure on the ballots in Colorado next week, but is applicable to everyone. He tells a moving story about Pope John Paul II at the end of his life, and discusses how, as humans, we all have inherent dignity. Even if we are not productive (something I could use a lesson in). Even if we are suffering (which we all will at times).

I'm so glad that my church is clear about its stance on human dignity. We aren't valuable because someone wants us or because we are doing s…

Seven Random Things I Like

It's been a while, so I'm going to link up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum  for 7 Quick Takes today! I present to you seven random things I like, and for which I am grateful today.

1. Lent! Time to repent! I do like Lent, and with a weird rib-area cartilage injury and a bad cold to set the pace, it's shaping up to be a really Lenty Lent. I'm using the Blessed is She Lenten journal for my daily prayer time and am trying...t r y i n g this 5-Minute sacrifice. I did fairly well at it Wednesday, and pretty crappy Thursday. So there you go. Onward and upward.

I will embarrassingly admit that it took me until my 35th year to realize that I don't have to read all the things on the interwebs, even if they are about a topic of interest to me. The webs are awash with posts about how to Lent, and but thank goodness I resisted the urge to click on all of them and just licked on this one by Jenny at Mama Needs Coffee. Of course you know I want to share everything she w…

Day 358: My 2017 Reading Goals

I have never planned my reading before, and I know better than to try to tackle a whole bunch of books, or lay out a month-by-month plan. That would mean sure failure, because lots of books will come up throughout the year that shoot right to the top of my list. So I picked eight (but actually 14) from my extensive Pinterest board and semi-committed to them by writing them in my planner. In pencil. I haven't included any audio books, but I have a large Audible wishlist and I'm sure I could find some from my list on audio book at the library. 
Without further ado, here are my book goals for 2017: Little Women - Lousia May Alcott. I had hoped to finish this one in December but I have probably 250 pages left heading into Christmas Eve, so let's be real. I love it, though! The Family That Overtook Christ - M. Raymond. This is the favorite book of my super-holy priest friend and he basically commanded me to read it and assured me it would change my life. So I'm a little ter…