Skip to main content

Day 83: Always the Bridesmaid

Yesterday started out roses. My morning mother's group was perfect, enlightening and inspiring as usual. My homeboys took long naps and I got some administrative work done during nap time. Things took a sharp dive around 3 and by 6:30 I was ready to call it a day. At 7:30 I fished the toenail clipper out of a toilet of pee, and that's about where my mood was as well. As soon as the kids were tucked into their beds around 8:30 I was ready to fall into my own bed and forget the day had happened.

Then I remembered that I was planning on donating some of my old formal wear today, and I thought it would be fun to try them on once more before saying goodbye. I made my spouse take pictures and texted them to the brides of those delightful weddings, and boy did I engage in some funny text conversations and trips down memory lane. That type of silliness and nonsense was just what I needed.

I shocked myself by being able to at least partially zip all of them! #winning. All but one were worn before I had kids, so I consider being able to squeeze into them, even though I technically wasn't breathing, to be a victory. The proportions are all messed up after birthing three kids in four years, but I'm still calling it a win, because the zippers budged some and didn't burst.

The pictures are much too horrific to post on the Interwebs, between my mom bod, the hair of a frazzled day, and my messy closet and bedroom in the background. I can't find any flattering pictures of me at the actual weddings, because I only have recent pictures on this computer, and I'm in between hockey periods right now, so I don't have time to search through my photo archives (if I knew where they were).

So instead, I'll share this beauty of me at my favorite hometown bar, wearing a stunning 1989 prom gown. That thing was glorious. If I were the proud owner, I would totally be keeping that thing. This was for my cousin's bachelorette party in 2006, which had an old prom/bridesmaid dress theme and was delightfully fun.
This is mostly just to make my sister giggle.

Four lovelies will be heading off to a local school today where I'm hopeful a student can use one for prom or homecoming, or maybe they'll make a debut in a theater performance. Thanks for the good times, dresses!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 304: You Have Dignity Because You Belong To God

"We let our ability to do things speak to our dignity.... You are not valuable because you do things. You are not valuable because you look good or because you have a charming personality or because you have been successful at work. You have dignity because you belong to God." ~The Reverend Brian Larkin, Homily for 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time, October 23, 2016. 

Listen to the full homily here (choose the one for XXX Sunday in Ordinary Time).

His homily is directly related to a physician-assisted suicide measure on the ballots in Colorado next week, but is applicable to everyone. He tells a moving story about Pope John Paul II at the end of his life, and discusses how, as humans, we all have inherent dignity. Even if we are not productive (something I could use a lesson in). Even if we are suffering (which we all will at times).

I'm so glad that my church is clear about its stance on human dignity. We aren't valuable because someone wants us or because we are doing s…

Seven Random Things I Like

It's been a while, so I'm going to link up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum  for 7 Quick Takes today! I present to you seven random things I like, and for which I am grateful today.

1. Lent! Time to repent! I do like Lent, and with a weird rib-area cartilage injury and a bad cold to set the pace, it's shaping up to be a really Lenty Lent. I'm using the Blessed is She Lenten journal for my daily prayer time and am trying...t r y i n g this 5-Minute sacrifice. I did fairly well at it Wednesday, and pretty crappy Thursday. So there you go. Onward and upward.

I will embarrassingly admit that it took me until my 35th year to realize that I don't have to read all the things on the interwebs, even if they are about a topic of interest to me. The webs are awash with posts about how to Lent, and but thank goodness I resisted the urge to click on all of them and just licked on this one by Jenny at Mama Needs Coffee. Of course you know I want to share everything she w…

Day 358: My 2017 Reading Goals

I have never planned my reading before, and I know better than to try to tackle a whole bunch of books, or lay out a month-by-month plan. That would mean sure failure, because lots of books will come up throughout the year that shoot right to the top of my list. So I picked eight (but actually 14) from my extensive Pinterest board and semi-committed to them by writing them in my planner. In pencil. I haven't included any audio books, but I have a large Audible wishlist and I'm sure I could find some from my list on audio book at the library. 
Without further ado, here are my book goals for 2017: Little Women - Lousia May Alcott. I had hoped to finish this one in December but I have probably 250 pages left heading into Christmas Eve, so let's be real. I love it, though! The Family That Overtook Christ - M. Raymond. This is the favorite book of my super-holy priest friend and he basically commanded me to read it and assured me it would change my life. So I'm a little ter…