Skip to main content

102: Starting the Day My Way

Monday Monday Monday. I almost forgot Monday's gratitude post. My three loyal readers would have been devastated.

A few months ago, our wise priest challenged us to include more silence in our days. "Oh, Father," thought a skeptical Ashley. "You are adorable. But you don't have little kids. What is silence?" But I took his advice to heart because he is wise and holy, and started incorporating more silence into my days. From mid-January through most of March, I was rising at 6 and starting my weekdays in silence, prayer, and relaxation. I also showered most days. You're welcome.  Since Advent, I'd also been incorporating 10-15 minutes of silence into the post-lunch hour when the kids were napping.

Then, two or three weeks ago, the baby toddler threw a wrench into my beautifully planned silence. He actually throws everything but this was, of course, a figurative wrench. He started rising somewhere between 5:00 and 5:45 a.m., which was extremely frustrating mildly annoying. It took me a couple days to realize that part of the reason I was a frazzled, grouchy mess was that I was starting my days with noise and unsafe amounts of coffee rather than quiet and prayer. Not only was my morning alone time compromised, but I was using the post-lunch hour to collapse on the couch and wallow in solidarity with my drooping eyelids, basically wasting all the precious quiet minutes.

I know the season of life I am in cannot be carefully planned, and I really need to lighten up when my schedule gets thrown of for any number of reasons. Number 3 has uncharacteristically started screaming at bedtime, exhausting both of his parents. Yesterday, though, he gifted me by sleeping until 7;45. The big kids get up at 7, so when my Heroic Minute* alarm rang at 6, I actually listened to the song I'd chosen for my alarm, greeted the day, and slowly but surely got out of bed.

I really named it Heroic Minute a few weeks ago.
It helps me not hit snooze on those rare days I actually open
my eyes upon hearing those first guitar strums.
The alarms below it are telling of what happens the other days. 

I so enjoyed my whole hour of silence: a long, hot shower; tea (which is really just water, apple cider vinegar, honey and lemon); daily readings and some prayer; and of course leisurely scrolling through Instagram and Facebook. When the kids came barreling upstairs, I actually felt ready to face the day, and it made such a difference in my outlook for the entire day. I am fully aware that this is not how every day will start, and I know I need to give myself a pep talk on those days when my plans are foiled. Last night I felt genuine gratitude and peace about how the day started and how it progressed.

Other, less-important-to-my-mental-stability gratitude items today:

  • Hootie and the Blowfish's "Let Her Cry" just came up on my Pandora station. I love you, Pandora. Oooh and now Stone Temple Pilots. Yes!
  • Internet wins: I gave up my fruitless search for the missing file cabinet key and ordered one online for $7, which is coincidentally three times what I paid for the actual file cabinet. I also found the manual for my malfunctioning-but-actually-just-dirty coffee pot. I love you, too, Internet. 
*Unlike Leah Darrow, I can absolutely not get behind a heroic minute when you have a newborn. Until baby sleeps at least most of the night, my policy is to strongly encourage every moment of sleep possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am A Blogger: CWBN 2017 Recap

The last weekend in March I had the great pleasure of attending a real life blogging conference! Like a real blogger! Cathedral of St. Paul Jacqui ,  Anna  and  Susanna  hosted the Catholic Women's Blogging Network Twin Cities get together at a stunning Summit Avenue mansion in St. Paul. Thirty-some wonderful Catholic women from the Twin Cities, the Midwest, and even Maryland joined up to talk blogging and really just to support each other and build each other up. My friend Monica encouraged me to go, and I signed up on a bit of a whim, figuring that if I paid for registration I'd be more inclined to go. If I didn't have a mutual friend link to one of the organizers, and if a couple of my most favoritest bloggers hadn't been speakers, I'd probably have chickened out.  In response to my evident nerves on the way, my husband wisely mused, "Well, if you're going to walk into a group of people you don't know, this is probably the best group yo

Hey! Remember me?

Hey! I'm still here! I haven't given up on ye olde blog just yet, but I haven't had much to write about. I've been spending most of my time reading, mothering, household-running, reading, watching Instagram stories, and house hunting. Whew. Summer is flying by at breakneck speeds and I can barely keep up. I've read more books already than I did last year, which I think is saying a lot because I read more books last year than any year since I became a mother. I didn't set a number goal, but I did list out 10 or 15 that I wanted to get to. I've finished most, including the Harry Potters, but not all. It's a good reading year! Right now I'm reading one by a woman who gave up the Internet for a year. Insert scared emoji face. House hunting will likely be a whole separate post...someday. I have a few other posts in the rusty old brain, so we'll see if they come to fruition. I just didn't want you to forget about me!

Overwhelmed by Information

We are experiencing crazy nice weather for North Dakota February. Today it was in the 40s so I took the kids out to play. We were out about 75 minutes. It wasn't many minutes into watching them shovel, throw ice chunks, and wander around that I got a little bored. I purposely left my phone upstairs (SO NOBLE, RIGHT?) but I found myself wishing I'd have brought my book. Then it struck me that I have information flowing into my brain almost constantly, and that I actually needed some time to wander around with no phone, no book, no radio, etc. I love reading, so much so that I'll read darn near anything. Kindergarten newsletter? Check. Junk mail? Sure. Random article shared on Facebook that I know will make my blood boil? Probably, if I'm bored enough. If I'm not reading, I'm usually listening. The radio or TV is on in the background, or I automatically throw on a podcast or audiobook if I have any amount of alone time for a walk or a drive. There is informati